One of the most famous Persian poet Amir-e-Khusru has rightly remarked-
“Agar firdous baroye zameen ast, hami asto, hami asto hami ast“
“If there is heaven on earth, it’s here, it’s here, it’s here”.
Indeed, the scenic and the natural beauty of the Kashmir is widespread all over the world. The essence of the pure beauty is quite observable in the Kashmir. However, one can also clear his doubt by watching over the snowy hills, the Mughal gardens, the health resorts, hospitality, chinar trees, the Shikara and the jewel-blue water that is the soul to the icy-cold mountains. The Kashmir valley is such a marvelous, astonishing and frabjous place which one can only felt by his heart and wanted to gaze its beauty over the years and centuries until he dies to capture its complete fine picture. It’s truly a piece of heaven on the earth!
Apart from it’s wonderful and praiseworthy beauty, a very beautiful Art and Culture of Kashmir is also famous all around the world. In general and very simple words if we define culture, it is a sum total of the behavior. It includes believing, value, knowledge, Earth, morals, love, customs, habits, language, traditions dress and whatnot! It’s a culture which gives a meaning to a society and helps to hold it together. Briefly one can conclude that culture is “what we are”.
The Art and Culture of Kashmir possesses a diverse blend of Persian and Central Asian culture. As well, Kashmir is also famous for its cultural heritage. The most important components which depict the Kashmir culture includes Kanger (also known as Kangri), Kashur Zaban (a Kashmiri language), Pheran (a traditional outfit), Kasab (a type of scarf worn all over the head), Wazwan (includes all Kashmiri dishes), Architectural work and embroidery & handicraft.
Let’s understand deeply Art and Culture of Kashmir :
- Precisely a ‘Kanger’ is an earthen pot which is all our woven with wicker. This is used by the people of Kashmir to keep themselves warm during winters as it’s related with smoldering and glowing coals and ash.
- Kashur Zaban is not actually the native language of Kashmir but sir language from the Dardic subgroup of Indo Aryan language but is mainly spoken in the Kashmir Valley. Well, this language is very much intricate to learn and understand for the foreigners and this adds charm to our culture!
- If we talk about the “Pheran”, it’s actually a type of long gone which is usually worn in winters to keep the person warm and its length extends up to knees or below knees. However, some also used to wear “Pheran” during summers which are made of cotton.
To buy Kashmiri phiran click here
- Although Kasab also plays a very important role in depicting the Kashmiri culture, it is no more used in the current times however someone can manage to see the glimpse of this beautiful scarf type head stole but only if he makes a visit to ruler areas or village of Kashmir. In ancient time, even the bride used to wear this Kasab over her head but gradually the trends get changed and it’s quite unseen now.
To buy Kashmiri Women’s Embroidered Woolen Shawl/Stole click here
- The most famous and prominent Art of Kashmir is “Wazwan”. Even if one only talks or thinks about it, there is no any other option except the watering of mouth! Wazwan is actually a term for the amalgamation of different dishes all together which is very much popular in this area. It is served on marriage ceremonies, festivals, functions etc. All the dishes or Cuisine included in Wazwan are usually made by using the meat of either goat or cow. It truly, in true fans depicts the art and culture of Kashmir. In fact, when someone merely mentions the name of a Kashmir, the automatic feeling which arises must be “Kashmiri Wazwan”! Comprising Kabab, Roganjosh, Rista, Gushtaba, Yakhin, March-Wangun Korm-e, Mach-e-Kabab and man other dishes which is mostly served in a platter called “Trami“.
- The Architecture works of Kashmir speaks a lot about the richness of the people. the ancient buildings where characterized by the Kashmiri architecture such as Dub (a wooden Bay window which are made by giving different shapes such as Squares, rectangular or orthogonal), Deedh ( which serves as a main gateway or entrance), Piryrakari (Beautiful design of art like a cage type to decorate the windows), Khatam-e-band (it’s a special woodwork skill which is mainly used to decorate ceilings and highly patient full carpenter is required to do this job). This architectural works up to high extend tough to make a necessary required a very skillful, careful and patient full carpenter. Native houses of Kashmir clearly shows this skills and gives a very wonderful and amazing look from outside.
- And then finally comes to the point of “Kashmir handicraft”. The outstanding is the common word used by the people when they sight they craft full and hand full art of Kashmir. The craft is really incredible here. The vibrant culture of the state is vigorously portraits and reflected in it is stylish and attractive art and crafts which are famous and admired not only in India but throughout the world chiefly Paper Machie, Pashmina and Shahtoosh Shawls, Kashmiri Kaleens and work wood. The Kashmiri artisans had a great demand for their beautiful work of art. while if some believes that Kashmir is the Earth of great poets and saints, but the land is not only restricted up to this extent, the talent and skill of the artisans here goes beyond to the imagination of one’s mind as the state has produced the Great Men’s and brains! Even some believe that Kashmir is the land of artisans.
Check out this amazing video on Kashmir:
Written by Mumina Irfan
More articles coming soon! Stay in loop with us.
Published by: Ecstatic Trends